Wednesday, May 9, 2012

IT'S ALIVE!!

      Recently, while rummaging through some of my mother’s mementos from my childhood, I came across a letter written to me from my youngest brother.  It reads:
Dear M.W.,

Thanks for the two dollar bill.  I Like it a lot.  I still do art because I look up to you.  You are one of my best heroes til you quit art.


Your Brother,


B

He was one week shy of his ninth birthday when he wrote that. I was nearly 20 and had just dropped out of college after pursuing a drunkology major instead of the commercial art degree I was paying for.  That letter, as well as a few other items I found inside a lidless plastic storage bin, deeply affected me.  My passion for art and architecture had died. I buried my dreams and eulogized on my past.  Now I want to exhume it.  I want that dream to claw its way to the surface, brush of the dust, dirt and decay and perform a choreographed number with a lycanthropic Michael Jackson.  Hello.  I am an Art Zombie.



No comments:

Post a Comment